Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Underwear Incident

Last weekend, we took our annual trip to Ely to visit some friends, stay in a "gotel," and go swimming.

Saturday morning, we proceeded to start the usual routine of repacking things as Rowan unpacks them, scrambling to find everything and then realizing the Kids are Hungry Again right before we walk out the door.  Among the chaos of the morning, I remembered that Aidan is still in the middle of his anti-hygiene phase, particularly when it comes to his underwear.  Asking him to change it is like asking him to do some impossible, horrible task.  Many times he has lied when I've asked him "Did you change your underwear?" so now I do a check.  I make him pull the waistband of his pants down, note the color, send him upstairs, and note the color again when he comes back down.  Oh, the strange things we do as parents...  Anyway, I did the usual waistband check, he passed, and I sent him on his way.

We did finally make it to Ely, and excitement exploded as we reached the hotel room.  The Jump from Bed to Bed game commenced.  I announced, "Who wants to go swimming???" and suddenly there was more excitement. It was like two small tornadoes spinning around the room with clothes flying out of them as they rushed to get into their swimsuits.  I followed the tornadoes, picking up the debris, but something strange struck me as I picked up Aidan's pants and underwear, which had come off in one piece.  I realized that my son had not been wearing one, but TWO pairs of underwear.  He was too lazy to change them, so knowing he needed to pass the waistband check, he simply put the new pair over the old pair.  


My children: smart, funny, independent, creative.  You just can't make this stuff up, can you?

1 comment:

  1. That is too funny. Be comforted by the fact that by the time he is 14, he'll change clothes four times a day and take 45 minute showers. My advice, make rules (like you do about the underwear) and they are hard and fast. Cris had to take a shower every other day and days he had hockey, absolutely no exceptions. Now we have a shower time, lol. But we have acheived the dream of a clean kid.

    ReplyDelete