Monday, June 20, 2011

The Big Decision

My 7 year old goes to the Greatest School in the World.  I mean the Greatest.  I have never seen such an amazing community of teachers, families and students who truly care for one another.  I am now faced with the decision to either 1.) Keep Aidan at North Shore or 2.) Transfer him to the school I just got hired at.  Still working on the pros and cons.  Here's what I have so far.

North Shore Pros:
Greatest School in the World
His best friend goes there
He will LOVE his second grade teacher
Will not scar him for life by changing schools (this happened to me in second grade)
Selfishly want to keep him there to stay in touch with friends and former co-workers
Secretly hope art teacher will quit so I can have her job, and wouldn't lose Aidan's spot (not likely)
Greatest School in the World

North Shore Cons:
Long drive - how to get him back and forth
Our breaks will not coincide
Not having him with me at school
Really tough class in general, kids wise

Edison Pros:
Same breaks
No transportation issues = serious convenience
Have him with me at school
Differentiated reading - the kid is a high flyer and honestly was not challenged AT ALL last year
Uniforms = no more clothing battles (a serious issue in our house...what is he, like a 15 year old girl?)
Snowflake Nordic right next door - ski dates with my son!
Spanish!

Edison Cons:
Scar him for life?
More behavior issues at Edison, tough on him?  But he is in a naughty class already and holds his own
Doesn't know a soul there
So many unknowns: will I give up a great community?  What if we don't like his teacher?
No Environmental ed.

Weigh in, people.  I think I've made up my mind one way, and then it changes.  I need your advice.

1 comment:

  1. I would make your life much simpler if you take him with you to Edison. We love you very much up at North Shore, and do not want to lose you, but no one wants you to go crazy either. You will have to be in town for Rowie too, so you would have a three way split, Rowan-Edison-NSCS.

    That said, you must listen to your own gut. If it says Keep Him At North Shore, then we the North Shore Folks will help you make it work. You can always drop off and pick up at our house.

    You will have a crazy year getting to know a new school, either way. You will not lose your North Shore connection, either way. Aiden will do amazing things, either way. You will be a fantastic ART TEACHER, no matter what.

    That's all I can think of, we are all behind you, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete