Friday, July 15, 2011

FOUR! or How I Disguised A Sensory Diet Activity as a Birthday Party

ROWAN IS FOUR!!!!!

Question:  How do you plan a birthday party for a sensitive child who is easily overwhelmed by noise and activity?

Solution:  Messy Party!  Rowan has always LOVED getting his hands dirty...I guess you could call him sensory seeking it that area.  It honestly has a calming effect on him.  Soooo.... I filled up a bin full of mud, a bin full of shaving cream, a pool full of bubble stuff, pans of paint next to a big white sheet, and a slip and slide full of soap.  I let the kids go to town. Success!  And fun!  I might have to do this again, just for fun!

  The neighborhood crew got the party started.  Rowan and I came out to find the three older kids with the shaving cream in their hair and on their faces.  I panicked and shouted, "No!  Not in your....oh wait, messy party, carry on."  It was kind of a relief to let go of that.


Painting sheets, selves and each other.

Aidan wants his own messy party!

Shaving cream makes for good hairdos.


A messy hug from the birthday boy.

I think my favorite part of the party was when we were about to sing Happy Birthday, Rowan was the one to start the song.

Yes, that is a dirt and worms dessert in a dump truck.

Happy birthday little Rowie Bear!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment