Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

One month ago, I imagined what life would look like at this moment in my life.

I imagined Aidan, off to school, with copious amounts of stress surrounding getting him there and back.

I imagined Dan, bummed at the prospect of losing his job soon.

I imagined Rowan, an anxious wreck over being in preschool full time and having upheaval in his routine (again.)

I imagined myself, overwhelmed by the new job and changes, exhausted, no time to keep up on housework, bills, putting food on the table...and too tired to be a good parent.

Here is where I sit instead:

Aidan is off to school.  Our friends and neighbors have stepped up to help.  He is transported safely, and secure and happy in his after school care.

Dan sees the end coming, but is focused with new resolve and confidence to get his own business going. (Not to mention new gear..he is all set!)

Rowan....oh what do I say about Rowan?  Well adjusted.  Happy.  Confident.  Would I have ever believed he'd ask me to go back to preschool as I was buckling him into the car at the end of the day?  Would I ever have dreamed that we'd make a sudden and rash decision to move him and Aidan into the same room the second week of school?  Lordy, no.  But it's all happening, and it is all so very good.  And WOW does that make everything else easier.

And me?  Yes, the job is overwhelming, and many days I feel like a deer in headlights, BUT, along with it is the realization that last year I was living in a state of "meh."  I feel passion in what I am doing, and MAN, DO I EVER LOVE TEACHING ART!!!!!!  And the crazy thing is, it carries over to all the other parts of my life.  I don't know, maybe I was depressed last year, but having this new job doing what I love motivates me to be a better mom, friend, wife, person.

I feel kind of underwhelmed in my own response to all these changes.  I keep looking around, thinking, "Am I missing something here? Shouldn't I be more stressed out?"  And then I'm like, "STOOPID, enjoy this moment!  You are not running around like a crazy person like you thought you would. Stop worrying about worrying."

And then I sit back, breathe, and ride this glorious wave.  Sometimes change is just what you need.

3 comments: