Saturday, April 30, 2011

Let the Revolution Begin

So, again, I am inspired by another Katrina Kenison book.   This time it is Mitten Strings For God.  It's basically a book she wrote when her kids were little, to help her be mindful to SLOW DOWN and simplify.  The writing may be a bit flowery and idealistic, but I get it.


It's really no wonder there is this thing called Sensory Processing Disorder.  And why it seems kids are getting less able to entertain themselves, and why parents seem more stressed.  There is just SO MUCH being thrown at them, at us.

I can remember as a kid having the whole cul-de-sac neighborhood as free reign.  We'd play kick the can, moonlight starlight and capture the flag until the 9:00 siren would go off, and then we knew it was time to go home.  I'm not sure what my parents were doing, but they sure didn't seem worried.  I don't remember having homework until 5th or 6th grade.  (Aidan had homework in kindergarten.)

I feel overwhelmed by how much we are scheduled in doing stuff.  In a story similar to one in Mitten Strings, by the time we got to Halloween this year, my kids had been in their costumes four times at four different events.  And we had skipped two parties.  I was relieved in December when our school decided not to have a Holiday music program this year: one less thing to do.

As I am reading this book, I am realizing that we as a culture are so focused on creating these amazing experiences for our kids, trying to keep them happy, that we are overlooking the real fun of simple, ordinary, everyday life.  We seem to be teaching kids to keep expecting bigger and better, and not letting them just  see what life will just bring to them.

While I've never rented a bouncy castle for a party, I am guilty of this as any other parent.  We went WAY overboard at Christmas this year, and I regretted it.  There are events, parties and other experiences I keep throwing at my kids that they don't need.  But slowly, as I learn to listen to Rowan and recognize the signs of overload, I am learning to say no.  Yep, we went to the birthday party today.  The Aquarium was loud and busy and I spent 20 minutes of it in a quiet, abandoned meeting room.  The old me would have pined away for the fact that Rowan wasn't playing with his friends. The new me saw that he and I were having a nice quiet moment together, and that he had found a pretty nice way to regroup so he could return to the party. (Which he did.)

I am starting a revolution.

First, it starts with assassinating the person who had the idea of putting candy bars by checkout counters.

Then, it moves on to building blanket forts.

Having cereal for dinner more often, so we can play outside together.

More cookie baking.  There will definitely be more cookie baking.

No more t.v. shows with commercials. (Oh, wait, I did that already.)

Dance parties.  Every Saturday.  If we feel like it.

No more than 3 kids invited to birthday parties.

Less stuff at Christmas and more snowmen/ice skating.

I may also assassinate the really annoying sports parents.  You know, the ones who yell at their 7 year old at t-ball games?  Those people have to go.  If my kid wants to build mountains in the dirt in outfield, or pick grass during a soccer game, he can.

Dora?  Also on the assassination list.

Oh, and those people who took Bob the Builder and changed it from a cute show about working together into a show about being naughty and nasty?  On the list.

Also, the people who destroyed Sesame Street.

Okay, maybe I'll stop assassinating people and just bring back Mr. Rogers.

And write a letter to all the people making kids shows and tell them to stop trying to teach my kids so much stuff.  They get plenty of that at school, and from me.  What ever happened to Wile E. Coyote falling off the cliff fifteen times, anyway?

Camping.  More of that.

Important people/characters of the revolution: The kids next door, Skippyjon Jones, The Boxcar Children, Grover, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pirates, The Laurie Berkner Band, The Barenaked Ladies kid's CD and our dog.

Oh, and I'd like to resolve that when friends stop by, they will frequently find me wearing a superhero cape, a pirate eye patch or acting like a cat/dog.  Important part of the revolution.

Anyway, you get it.  Basically, more of what I had as a child, and less of this pushy business.

Anyone care to join?

1 comment: