Monday, August 22, 2011

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

*sigh*

I guess, for me, it's technically over.  I mean, we still have a couple days together, including the State Fair, but my brain has switched over.  I am in School Mode, like it or not.  From here on out, it will occupy my mind and being until June 8, 2012.

I look back on this summer as the Summer of Expecting the Unexpected.  A rainy June, a "part time" job that tied me down more than it was supposed to, a summer of scrambling for caregivers and juggling schedules, a rough start for Rowan.  It's easy to feel just an *eensy* bit disappointed in the Summer of 2011.  But then I think back to what I really did.

This summer I:

  • Watched my toddler turn into a Little Boy.
  • Watched as my Little Boy turned into a Big Boy.
  • Smiled at LOTS of tourists (mostly unwillingly)
  • Appreciated the stars.
  • Was entertained by backyard musicians under the age of 8.
  • Made lots of chalk pictures on the sidewalk.
  • Took the training wheels off.
  • Picked my share of berries.
  • Drank my share of wine and beer with good friends.
  • Ate a genuine Kazakhstan cuisine.
  • Kept the garden weeded.
  • Secretly muttered a prayer of thanks to the summer wind every time I smelled or felt it.
  • Threw one kickass four year old birthday party.
  • Rose to the occasion with social stories, positive redirection and creative parenting.
  • Learned from the times that I didn't rise to the occasion.
  • Got my share of giggles and butt-slaps from my cafe coworkers.
  • Maintained and grew friendships from the last 2 years.
  • Read a bunch of great books.
  • Convened with bodies of water.
  • Chillaxed on a pontoon.
  • Ate at least a dozen s'mores.
  • Shampooed a dog.
  • Sewed up a storm.
  • Followed my heart.
Onward we go, into a new season and a new start in many ways for the whole family.  I start a new job, Dan will self-employed in a month, Rowan will be at a new preschool.  It seems the only thing we can depend on is change, isn't it?  I can't help but feel a little bit like hiding somewhere, while simultaneously motioning that "come here" sign with my fingers while yelling "BRING IT!" to the Universe.
Here is to confidence, balance, and reflection on a Summer well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment