Thursday, March 31, 2011

Upswing

Gosh, I don't want to jinx it, but things are really looking up.

We've had two pretty solid weeks of calmer behavior.  Fewer tantrums, and they are less intense.   I have managed to cook dinner every night this week without a meltdown from Rowan.  We went away for the weekend and stayed in a hotel, ate at a restaurant, visited a baby and transitioned from place to place without any major hiccups.  I don't feel like I need to hand a copy of "The Out of Sync Child" to people who give me and Rowan strange or disapproving looks in public.

Besides this, the Rowan I have only gotten to glimpse at now and then is shining out in full force.  He is more aware of others, and situations, and talking about them appropriately.  He is telling me if something is bothering him rather than lashing out. His self confidence is shining.  He is saying hi to strangers in public. He pretty much talks nonstop.  Along with it, his sense of humor is exploding.

All of a sudden realize the burden all this has had on me.  I can suddenly think clearly again.  I am more creative at work.  I can sleep.  I don't feel stressed 24/7.  I have more patience, and more fun.  There is less screaming and more giggling in this house.

I know Rowan has cycles of ups and downs.  I hope it's more that just the "up" of the cycle, and means real progress.  I am hoping this hangs on for awhile.  I think we're due, aren't we?  We are guaranteed easier times ahead in the next few months with more sun and outdoor playtime, and soon fewer hours for me at work!  I look forward to more sun and more warmth, both outside and inside our house.

1 comment: